Friday, January 1, 2021

Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2021

2020 is officially behind us, so it only seems right to look ahead and decide which ten films I'm most looking forward to in 2021. Several choices carry over from my Most Anticipated Films of 2020 due to all of the delayed releases. I'm not even sure whether all of these will release in 2021 or not. I've also decided to delay sharing my Top 10 Films of 2020 list because I don't feel I've seen enough releases to do the year justice. I'd also like to finish catching up on reviews beforehand. So you can probably expect to see my Top 10 surface toward the end of January or the beginning of February, depending on how quickly I watch and review the films I'd like to see before compiling a list. 

Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2021


10. Judas and the Black Messiah

A terrific trailer, compelling true story, and formidable cast has me very intrigued in Judas and the Black Messiah. Daniel Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfield continually deliver outstanding performances, so I'm eagerly awaiting their work here. Due to the Academy's adjusted release deadlines, Judas and the Black Messiah could surface as a robust late contender for Best Picture this year. Regardless, it's a film I'm quite interested in seeing at the very least. 

9. Last Night in Soho

Last Night in Soho is one of a few entries on this list that I'm interested in purely based on the track record of the talent involved. I enjoy all of Edgar Wright's filmography, so I'm keen to see his approach to psychological horror. 

8. West Side Story 

I'm usually averse to remakes, but I'll make an exception for Steven Spielberg's West Side Story. The prospect of my favorite director reinterpreting one of my favorite musicals is irresistible. I'm also excited to see Rachel Zegler make her feature debut in the role of Maria due to her exceptional voice (you can find plenty of videos of her singing online).

7. Spider-Man 3

I'm cautiously optimistic for Spider-Man 3 based on the flurry of casting announcements and the film's supposed multiverse angle. While those inclusions are exciting fan service, I'm worried this movie may be a bit overcrowded, and I'm still yearning for an MCU Spider-Man film that focuses primarily on Tom Holland's Peter Parker rather than his connection to the greater universe. Nevertheless, I enjoyed both Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home, so I'm looking forward to seeing where Peter Parker's story goes after the cliffhanger in Far From Home.

6. The French Dispatch

I love writer-director Wes Anderson's trademark idiosyncrasies and the quirkiness of his dialogue, so it's a no-brainer that I'm keen to see The French Dispatch. I'm interested in seeing him tackle a story revolving around a newspaper publication. Coupling that with a stacked ensemble of A-list actors makes The French Dispatch a must-watch for me. 

5. Raya And The Last Dragon

Since its announcement, I've had a gut feeling Raya And The Last Dragon would be an epic addition to Disney's animated library. The teaser trailer released last year only seemed to confirm that suspicion, as it showcased gorgeous animation and a seemingly unique fantastical story. After the toxicity she endured online in response to The Last Jedi and a diminished role in The Rise of Skywalker, I'm also delighted that Kelly Marie Tran will now be voicing Raya, considering it's the lead role in a reasonably significant production. It's reassuring that her acting career wasn't derailed by nonsensical targeted harassment as previous Star Wars actors have unfortunately experienced. 

4. No Time To Die

No Time To Die looks to be everything I could want from a new James Bond installment. There seems to be plenty of high-stakes spectacle, a compelling narrative, and a talented all-star cast in addition to the high profile names working behind the camera. With Cary Fukanaga directing, Phoebe Waller-Bridge contributing to the script, and many key creatives from La La Land involved, how could I not be excited? It is also presumably a swan song for Daniel Craig's Bond, so it will be interesting to see if there's any weight to that at the rate the same was said about Spectre

3. Dune

While I'm certainly bummed that Dune was not only delayed to October 2021 but also relegated to the tragic fate of a simultaneous streaming/theatrical release, I'm glad to still have the opportunity to see it in theaters. On the bright side, director Denis Villeneuve will have more time to fine-tune things, and I'll be able to read Frank Herbert's novel beforehand. The teaser trailer was one of my favorite trailers to come out of 2020, offering an epic glimpse into Villeneuve's adaptation. In the last decade, Villeneuve directed PrisonersEnemySicarioArrival, and Blade Runner 2049. In my book, that streak of excellence cements Villeneuve as one of the best filmmakers working today. If that weren't enough for me, a robust cast including Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Jason Mamoa, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, and Javier Bardem only intensifies my interest tenfold. 

2. Mission: Impossible 7

Mission: Impossible is one of the few blockbuster franchises where each new entry manages to miraculously raise the bar and improve upon the last (Mission: Impossible II aside). Practical in-camera action never ceases to amaze, as Tom Cruise's insistence on performing the hazardous stuntwork gives the action more of a visceral edge than other effects-heavy action movies. Offscreen, I also can't help but admire Cruise's commitment to ensuring productions like this are even possible amidst this pandemic. Cruise is clearly passionate about filmmaking and preserving the theatrical experience, so it's commendable to see him leverage his star power and advocate for that however he can. After Fallout, I absolutely can't wait to see what Cruise and writer-director Christopher McQuarrie have in store for Ethan Hunt in Mission: Impossible 7 and 8! Whatever that may be, it's sure to elevate my heart-rate!

1. Babylon

Babylon is still in pre-production, so this is one of the inclusions on this list that I'm unsure will actually release in 2021. However, Damien Chazelle is one of my favorite filmmakers working today, and his involvement alone is enough to get me excited. He's earned my goodwill, and then some, with his three-peat hot streak of WhiplashLa La Land, and First Man. The film's supposedly about early Hollywood with Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, and Tobey Maguire are reportedly in talks to star. While I was looking forward to the possibility of Chazelle and Emma Stone reteaming, I'm excited for some fresh actor-director collaborations and hopeful that Chazelle will knock it out of the park once more!

No comments:

Post a Comment