Wednesday, May 1, 2019

'Avengers: Endgame' Review

Sincerest apologies for the delay on this review, as I understand it's probably one many of you were looking forward to reading, but there were some final school assignments and other miscellaneous obligations which required my attention. However, waiting this long has allowed me a chance to see the film a second time and given my thoughts time to marinate. Even though I'm sure many of you reading this have already seen the film, I will refrain from discussing spoilers or anything not shown in the marketing material for the sake of those who haven't watched it yet. To compensate for what will surely be a vague review, I'm going to write a spoiler-filled article later this weekend on why I believe Endgame is an excellent companion piece to Infinity War. Without further ado, let's get this show on the road!

'Avengers: Endgame' Review


Nominated For: Best Visual Effects.

Synopsis: After the devastating events of Avengers: Infinity War, the universe is in ruins. With the help of remaining allies, the Avengers assemble once more to figure out a way to undo Thanos' actions and restore order to the universe.

Runtime: 181 minutes

MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and some language)


Who should see it? Marvel fans of all ages.
As the fourth Marvel film directed by Joe and Anthony Russo (known to many as the Russo Brothers) and featuring a screenplay from Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, Avengers: Endgame is an unprecedented achievement. Like Infinity War, Endgame is also the cinematic culmination of several years of storytelling. Only this time, it's a closing chapter for the Marvel Cinematic Universe and some of its more prominent characters. Though the MCU will likely continue for years to come (with Spider-Man: Far From Home only two months away), Endgame is a satisfying conclusion for the journey Marvel has taken audiences for the last eleven years and twenty-two films. 
Where Infinity War focused on plot and spectacle, Endgame is more of a character-driven finale that seeks to resolve as many lingering plot threads and character arcs as it possibly can. For the first time, our heroes failed (semantics aside). Thanos won, and half of the universe was turned to dust. These characters were then helpless to watch as their loved ones disintegrate in front of their very eyes and, as you'll see in Endgame, they each handle that remorse in different ways. As a result, these characters are the most vulnerable, human, and down-to-earth audiences have seen since their respective origins. But one thing's for sure. If they can't protect half of the universe, you can be damn sure they'll do whatever it takes to avenge it. Believe it or not, but this is the first Avengers installment that involves any genuine attempt at "avenging." Before, they tried to prevent disaster. This time, it's already struck. 
So you're probably wondering what their next course of action is going to be, as the marketing left the details of their mission purposefully unclear. In the year following that heart-stopping cliff-hanger, fans have speculated relentlessly about how the Avengers would bring everyone back. I won't disclose the answer because I think it's one best discovered for oneself, but don't allow your own expectations to interfere with your enjoyment of the direction Markus, McFeely, and the Russo Brothers choose to take these characters. Let the filmmakers guide you on the journey they deem best for the story before you compare it to what you'd hoped to see. I say this because I'm noticing more and more fanbases become narrow-minded about storytelling having to meet their individual needs and desires. 
So, as I'm sure many of you have figured out by now, I quite literally can't discuss the plot of the film without spoiling something. The marketing for this film has been so secretive that it mostly features footage from the first twenty minutes of the movie, with everything other shot carefully selected to not reveal much of anything about the story. With that in mind, there are many twists and turns that I didn't really expect. As I mentioned, go along for the ride for your first watch. If there's a choice that didn't work for you, that's totally okay. There were a few things I wasn't 100% on board with as well. Those being where they chose to take Thor's character and some nitpicky spoiler-related complaints I've since retracted due to thorough and insightful answers from the Russos in a recent Q&A. 
To address the aspect of Thor's character which I didn't like, I can't elaborate on what annoyed me without spoiling the movie. Don't worry! I'm not going to do that, but this paragraph will probably seem vague to those who haven't watched Endgame yet. Those who have seen it probably know precisely what I'm talking about... I'll say that I appreciated the intent behind Thor's character arc, but I felt there was a change incorporated mostly for shock value and comedy that quickly grew old. I liked the idea, but wasn't keen on the execution and think it could have been handled more tastefully. Considering that's one of my few nitpicks about a movie of this scale goes to show just how impressed I was overall.
I haven't really mentioned action yet, and that's because it comes in small doses till the INSANE third act confrontation. This battle is absolutely sensational and delivers many of the best moments of grand spectacle throughout the entire MCU. Some of these may be shrugged aside as pure fan service, but I don't care... This movie is a conclusion to a twenty-two movie story. Of course, there was going to be fan service and rightfully so! None of it obnoxiously caters to fans, and it serves the narrative quite well. Now, the MCU has gotten plenty of flack from film fans for some flat color grading, unmemorable music, and focus on furthering the overall narrative. I disagree with some of those points but acknowledge there's always been room for improvement. Endgame corrected that for me.
Concerning the film's technical prowess, Avengers: Endgame is the Russos' most confident film. Their consistent cinematographer Trent Opaloch has delivered imagery that will stand the test of time as some of the most iconic shots ever to grace the MCU. Since they've had over a year to polish the visual effects, I didn't notice particular instances of lackluster digital effects on either of my viewings and the CGI is truly remarkable from start-to-finish! Then, I've gotta acknowledge Alan Silvestri who's composed a sweeping score full of leitmotifs referencing prior MCU installments and epic new arrangements. The best moments in this movie would be meaningless without his score, and "Portals" is legitimately one of the coolest pieces of music I've ever heard (especially in a Marvel movie). Go to Spotify and listen once you've watched Endgame. You won't regret it since it accompanies one of the coolest scenes in the entire film. 
If I were to address every actor present in Endgame, this review would be ridiculously long. Even though Thanos did me a favor by whittling down the cast, there's still a large, leftover ensemble. I'm going to devote a few sentences to Thanos and each of the original six Avengers, but would be remiss not to mention Don Cheadle, Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, Brie Larson, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Danai Gurira who once again portray their respective roles to the fullest whenever onscreen! Simply because I feel he's gone overlooked in the Endgame discourse, I'd like to highlight Paul Rudd for showcasing some stellar dramatic chops. He, of course, was cast as Ant-Man because of his comedic sensibilities, but it was refreshing to see another side of the actor beyond being a quip-machine.
Of the six, it only makes sense to begin with the one who started it all... Iron Man revitalized Robert Downey Jr. in the pop-culture consciousness, and the actor's embodied Tony Stark across nine movies now, so it's no surprise that Downey once again knocks it out of the park. Downey digs deep into the story's core and goes all in concerning the character's comedic and dramatic beats. I'm not exaggerating when I say this may just be a career-best performance. 
Second up is my favorite Avenger, the star-spangled man with a plan. I felt Steve Rogers was handled PERFECTLY in this film, and cannot overstate how satisfied I was with his arc. In Endgame, Chris Evans exhibits a ruthlessness previously unseen from the character as he's willing to do whatever it takes to make things right. Captain America is sometimes ridiculed for being a patriotic pantheon, but Evans skillfully encapsulates Roger's virtue and conviction to the point I'm unsure any actor would be able to match Evans should Marvel choose to later reboot or recast. 
I've spoken my piece on Thor's character in this entry, but I still must commend Chris Hemsworth for committing to the bold new direction the Russos have taken the character in spite of my issues. Hemsworth really sells his moments of emotional vulnerability considering Thor's not in the best headspace after everything he's endured. 
Next up is Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner. I'll just say the Russos swung for the fences with a new take on Hulk that you'll either enjoy or detest. I personally liked it, though I'm not particularly invested in the Hulk as a character. It's campy for sure, and I don't think I can describe it beyond that without spoiling things. 
Rounding out the team are Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner, who each depict perhaps the most undervalued Avengers, Black Widow and Hawkeye. You'd expect that their characters would feel irrelevant when the heroes are facing insurmountable odds in the form of Thanos and his intergalactic armies, but the filmmakers find an essential narrative purpose for the two of them. Thanks to prior MCU entries, Johansson and Renner already have a great rapport with one another, and that established dynamic comes into play in a meaningful way. 
Last but not least, there's the big bad himself. Thanos is portrayed via motion capture by Josh Brolin and, though the film isn't centered around him like Infinity War, Brolin leaves just as large of an impression and cements himself as one of the best MCU villains. Just keep in mind that Thanos has a reduced role compared to Infinity War
Of the 14,000,605 versions of Endgame Doctor Strange saw in Infinity War, I believe this was the best possible outcome. It brings the original Avengers' arcs to an emotional ending which I was abundantly satisfied and heartbroken to see. Though this sentiment won't mean much till you've watched it, I love Avengers: Endgame 3,000. 

Film Assessment: A+ A-

No comments:

Post a Comment