Wednesday, December 18, 2019

'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Review

Nominated For: Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Editing, and Best Original Score.

Synopsis: The surviving Resistance faces the First Order once more as Rey, Finn, and Poe Dameron's journey continues. With the power and knowledge of generations behind them, the final battle commences.

Runtime: 141 minutes

MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sci-fi violence and action)

Who should see it? Star Wars fans eager to see the end of the Skywalker Saga.
At last, the time has come to talk about another new Star Wars movie... And not just any new Star Wars movie. Directed by J.J. Abrams, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker concludes the nine-episode space opera, which first began forty-two years ago. Entering the auditorium, I was overcome with feelings of joy, sadness, and anxiety since I knew this story I cherished so much was finally coming to an end. Now, it's worth noting that this ending provides closure to the Saga while also leaving room for future installments. So we'll have to wait and see whether Disney and Lucasfilm maintain their stance on this genuinely being the end or not... Though, for the time being, this is it for the core saga. 
Those who know me are well-aware of what this franchise means to me, so naturally, it may seem that my opinion's slightly biased in the film's favor. However, I was very nervous about a good number of things. Before I continue, I'd like to preface my thoughts with a brief disclaimer, though... I'm incredibly gracious to have the opportunity to see The Rise of Skywalker early, so I'm going to offer my readers the same courtesy I'd expect from any other reviewer. I will tread carefully in writing my review to avoid even the slightest spoiler or plot detail currently unknown by the general public. At times, my critiques may seem vague, but I'll be more than happy to elaborate in a clearly marked spoiler review after opening weekend. It's taken time for me to process what I watched, and there was a lot of information to absorb. 
I want to start by addressing the elephant in the room. The Last Jedi is my favorite movie period. I have not been shy about this, but I am also aware of its divisive reception. One of my concerns regarding The Rise of Skywalker was that J.J. Abrams and his co-writer Chris Terrio might choose to "course-correct" and reverse specific creative choice made by Rian Johnson for the sake of mass appeal. I'm glad to report I didn't feel that was the case. However, when I returned to social media yesterday, I discovered a storm of controversy due to certain "retcons." I'll address this in more detail in my spoiler review sometime next week, but the magnitude of these "retcons" is being grossly overblown.
These "retcons" being answers to questions that fans have obsessed over since before the release of The Force Awakens. The answers actually altered my perception of the sequel trilogy as a whole, so I'm interested in rewatching it with them in mind. Still, I felt they made logical sense and didn't contradict anything previously established by Rian Johnson, George Lucas, or any of the other Star Wars filmmakers. For those concerned, I went into the film with a particular mindset of what I hoped wouldn't happen and was surprised that Abrams and Terrio convinced me otherwise on specific points. The execution sold me on the ideas I wouldn't have expected to like. So keep an open mind and go along for the ride before casting judgment. I'm still in the process of reconciling certain creative choices myself. 
Otherwise, J.J. Abrams absolutely delivers on the spectacle expected for a grand finale. The central lightsaber duel showcased heavily in the promotional material is unreal, and the final confrontation offers starship combat on a scale previously unseen in the franchise. I was also delighted to see Abrams and Terrio up the ante in terms of Force abilities. Needless to say, I was very giddy throughout and can't wait to experience my favorite crowd-pleasing moments with a packed theater of Star Wars fans due to the huge surprises in store! The technicality of everything ranging from cinematography to sound design to visual effects to John Williams' musical score was impeccable.
In a mega-blockbuster such as this, large casts are typical, and it'd honestly be excessive for me to discuss every actor's performance in excruciating detail. Therefore, I'm going to stick to the leads and significant supporting players, but know all characters, new and old, are great in it. If I were to single anyone out as a standout, it would be Daisy Ridley's Rey. This is the role that skyrocketed her to stardom, and this time around, Ridley offers her best performance yet. In her third and possibly final outing, Ridley feels more confident, which translates wonderfully to Rey's screen presence. Ridley also gets an opportunity to demonstrate more of her emotional range and excels on all accounts.
Opposite Ridley, Adam Driver continues to make Kylo Ren a very compelling character. Driver has quickly become my favorite actor working today, and he lends so much dimension to Kylo Ren with his multifaceted portrayal. This outing is no different, and Driver gives it his all! I was especially glad to see the unique dynamic between him and Rey further explored in greater detail because that's one of my favorite aspects of the sequel trilogy. Star Wars fans keen to see his devout followers, the Knights of Ren onscreen will be happy that they have some cool moments in the limelight. With that said, they're more-or-less an afterthought in the grand scheme of things so temper your expectations there. 
I'm sure many of you are rightfully wondering about Leia's inclusion, and I'll just say I was amazed at how J.J. Abrams was able to integrate archival footage of Carrie Fisher so naturally. Her presence lingers over the movie in a powerful way, and I'm glad to see Leia's send-off handled with such reverence. Among all the discourse which will surround this movie, I highly doubt anyone will be displeased with how she was treated. As for the other lingering inclusion, I was surprisingly pleased with the return of Ian McDiarmid's Emperor Palpatine. I can't say much else for fear of spoilers, but I was thrilled to hear his maniacal laughter once more, and his malevolent presence is stronger than ever! 
Returning to a galaxy far, far away, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Kelly Marie Tran comfortably reprise their roles in the fight against the First Order as Finn, Poe, and Rose. The marketing for The Rise of Skywalker prominently featured the companionship between the trio of Rey, Finn, and Poe, and they certainly had a great rapport between the three of them. Regarding the beloved legacy characters of Chewbacca, C-3PO, and R2-D2, Joonas Suotamo, Anthony Daniels, and Jimmy Vee are as endearing as ever, and each has memorable moments! Rolling back onscreen, BB-8 continues to delight while D-O is a fun new droid companion. Then, of course, it was truly wonderful to see Billy Dee Williams playing Lando Calrissian again. He may be 82, but he's still got his trademark swagger! Meanwhile, the new characters Zorii Bliss, Jannah, and Allegiant General Pryde, portrayed by Keri Russell, Naomie Ackie, and Richard E. Grant respectively, were terrific additions to the sprawling ensemble. If I didn't mention someone, it's likely because they had a smaller part or have a surprise appearance, but the remaining cast members fulfilled their roles to the fullest!
At times, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is too overwhelming for its own good. The opening thrusts the audience right into the thick of it, and there's a lot of information to digest very quickly. Perhaps, the pacing will improve for me on repeat viewings, but that remains to be seen. It's not my favorite Star Wars movie, but it never needed to be. In the end, J.J. Abrams stuck the landing and delivered a finale that's epic, entertaining, emotional, and incredibly satisfying. 

Film Assessment: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment