Friday, December 18, 2015

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Review

It's finally here, the seventh installment in the Star Wars franchise. Ever since I was a child and finished watching Return Of The Jedi for the first time I distinctly remember asking my father if there would ever be a Star Wars Episode VII and I remember being disappointed to find out that it was very unlikely, but I always had a small glimmer of hope that it would happen. Now, this was just the beginning of my obsession with Star Wars (Yes, I am indeed admitting I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan) as I had just completed the Original Trilogy and soon would see each of the Prequels as they rolled into theaters. I remember how bittersweet it was watching Revenge Of The Sith in theaters for the first time worried that it would be the last Star Wars movie ever made.
Life moved on of course, and I distinctly remember two years ago coming out of a rehearsal and scrolling through Facebook to learn that Disney had acquired Lucasfilm for 4 billion dollars and had plans to continue the saga. Since that moment, I've remained vigilant, keeping my eyes peeled for any news regarding the film and counting down the days till release. I remember the announcement J.J. Abrams would be directing, any rumors spiraling around on the internet, and all casting announcements (and my immediate research of who these new actors were that would be joining the franchise). I was at home waiting for the moment all of the trailers were released at the edge of my seat ready to watch them and being fascinated by each one. I went out on the night of Force Friday and purchased a bit of the first wave of merchandise for the film and even watched a live stream of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens panel at both Star Wars Celebration and San Diego Comic-Con, and on Monday watched a live stream of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens red carpet. I bought tickets to see a marathon of all seven films the moment it was available after about an hour of refreshing due to ticket website's crashing.
Now if that doesn't tell you how big of a fan I am, and how much I've awaited this film, I don't know what will. I'm sharing my life experience with Star Wars in this review for a few reasons. One, it helps to convey just how much anticipation has built up within me for this film, and two, this is a film reviewer's blog, and I think sharing some of my past experience only adds to the review.

'Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens' Review


Nominated For: Best Film Editing, Best Original Score, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Visual Effects.

Star Wars is back! Star Wars: The Force Awakens captivated me from the opening crawl text to its cliffhanger ending. I had a reaction to every event that unfolded onscreen. Whether it be a grin from ear to ear, my jaw unhinged from my face, or tears (both tears of sadness and joy). Honestly, I was hit with a massive wave of emotions when the opening crawl text came onscreen and cried tears of joy. I wasn't quite expecting that to be my reaction to the text, but I think it was the principle that I saw the opening to Episode VII for real. 
J.J. Abrams did a phenomenal job not only revisiting the franchise after 30 years with the original cast and paying homage to the Original Trilogy but also injecting fresh elements into the film as well. J.J. brings the films back to the place it was 30 years ago with practical effects and location shooting that immerses you inside that galaxy far, far away. CGI is only used when absolutely necessary, and there are two characters that were brought to life through motion capture that I felt looked like they fit in this universe, and I understand why they couldn't be made through practical effects. Speaking of which, the film's visual effects were some of the best I've seen anywhere to date. 
John Williams gives an exhilarating new score that from time-to-time reutilized some of the classic themes without forcing nostalgia upon the viewer as the viewer would gladly take it and couldn't watch some of these scenes without it. The film's story at times feels like a rehash of A New Hope, but only borrows a few key moments as a homage to the classic that made us love these films the first time we saw them. The film moves at a very quick pace, but never feels rushed. This allows the film to go from one action sequence to another seamlessly. 
And there are tons of great action sequences in this film including very fun starfighter battles and an awesome lightsaber duel. There's some great comic relief in the banter between the cast that works perfectly in the film's favor, which makes it simultaneously the lightest and darkest film to date for the franchise.
The new cast and characters will captivate your hearts as soon as you meet them and that attachment only grows throughout the film. Daisy Ridley shines brilliantly in her first major motion picture role ever as Rey, bringing a very strong powerful female character to the franchise. John Boyega is a great hero in Finn, and he had some great line delivery balancing his emotional moments and comedy. Oscar Issac is just so cool and slick as the Resistance's best pilot Poe Dameron. 
The new droid BB-8 is the most adorable little droid, and it's impossible to even consider hating it.
For the film's new villains within the First Order, Kylo Ren specifically stood out to me, and everyone else is held back a little bit more to hopefully shine in the next film. Adam Driver brings a very complex layered malevolent presence to the screen in Kylo Ren. Now, be aware he is not another one-off villain like Darth Maul or another Darth Vader, but rather a very new type of villain for the franchise. 
Domhnall Glesson provides a very Nazi-esque villain as the First Order officer General Hux. 
Unfortunately, Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma has literally almost nothing to do, so you should temper your expectations for her character. 
Andy Serkis provides an interesting motion-capture performance as Supreme Leader Snoke, who is very much the Emperor of this new trilogy, and despite his important role, he doesn't get too much screen time (although he was on screen more than I thought he would be). 
Now for the returning cast and characters, I can say that everyone's back as our favorite Rebel heroes. Harrison Ford gives a great performance and steps right back into the role for the first time in 30 years, and this doesn't feel like an "old, tired geezer" Han Solo but that same lovable scoundrel who encapsulated audiences everywhere. 
As soon as Carrie Fisher arrives onscreen, you feel she's still Leia, although she may not have aged quite as well as Ford. Ford and Fisher's scenes together were pure magic, and you could just feel all that their characters had been through the last 30 years in their interaction. 
Chewbacca's back of course as everyone's favorite Wookie and his interactions with Solo were among the best interactions in the film. It really made me feel like I was back in that galaxy a long time ago so far, far away. They both had some great back and forth banter that was hilarious. 
C3PO's reappearance is hilarious, and I wasn't able to stop laughing. His counterpart, R2D2, is indeed in the film, but I don't feel I can discuss him without spoiling anything... So just know that R2D2 will be in the film. 
I don't think it's possible to discuss Luke Skywalker at all without spoiling anything, but be aware he's very important despite not having much actual time on screen and no dialogue. So temper your hopes for Luke, but be aware J.J. Abrams kept him out of the film's marketing for a reason. 
Really one of the best things was the interaction between the new and the old cast that brought laughter, tears, or just intensity to the film that just perfectly sums up what Star Wars has always been. 
I can't currently definitively rank it with the other films just yet, but as of right now I think it just might be my favorite Star Wars film. I'll have to see it a few more times to determine if that will be concrete or not though. 
I loved the melding of the old and the new to create one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. For the best possible viewing experience I highly recommend at least watching the film in 3D (I can't vouch for IMAX because I haven't seen it in IMAX yet), and to go into the film with no spoilers so watch out and stay away from the dark corners of the internet (specifically comment sections). I will also be making a spoiler review for the film, so once you've seen the film feel free to go check it out. Best way to sum up my reaction upon walking out is "Bring on Episode VIII!"

Film Assessment: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment