Sunday, January 5, 2020

Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2020

We've officially rung in the New Year, so it only seems right to look ahead and decide which ten films I'm most looking forward to in 2020. Most of these will be blockbusters since most of the smaller films aren't on my radar yet.

Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2020


10. Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

A terrific trailer and formidable cast has me very intrigued in Birds of Prey. Though I was underwhelmed by Suicide Squad, Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn was a highlight, and DC's output has improved considerably. Also, I'm keen to see Ewan McGregor as Black Mask. Here's hoping Cathy Yan's Birds of Prey continues DC's upward trajectory!

9. A Quiet Place: Part II

A Quiet Place was one of 2018's biggest surprises. It had an ingenious premise and weaponized sound for suspense very effectively. John Krasinski captured lightning in a bottle with an inventive, original horror story that was equally emotional and thrilling. Now, let's see if he can do it a second time... While I don't think a sequel's entirely necessary, I can't say the trailer didn't hook me. I'm also looking forward to exploring more of this post-apocalyptic world.

8. No Time To Die

If No Time To Die follows the trend of Daniel Craig's other Bond outings (where the quality of odd installments greatly surpass the even-numbered ones), it's gotta be incredible. With Cary Fukanaga directing, Phoebe Waller-Bridge contributing to the script, and many key creatives from La La Land involved, how could I not be excited? Not to mention, it's a new entry to the James Bond mythos, and the trailer promises some exhilarating action set pieces. 

7. Raya And The Last Dragon

Sight-unseen, I have a gut feeling Raya And The Last Dragon is going to be an epic addition to Disney's animated library. The concept art looks breathtaking, and the animation will surely follow suit. Ties to southeast Asian culture and prominent fantasy elements only heighten my excitement. Still, an original story is even more refreshing.

6. Soul

It's always a treat when Pixar tackles an original story, so naturally, I'm intrigued in Soul. Whether it measures up to their past work or not, I'm confident the animation will impress, and I'll probably leave the theater a little teary-eyed.

5. Last Night in Soho

Last Night in Soho is one of a few entries on this list that I'm interested in purely based on the track record of the talent involved. I enjoy all of Edgar Wright's filmography, so I'm keen to see his approach to psychological horror. 

4. West Side Story

I'm usually averse to remakes, but I'll make an exception for Steven Spielberg's West Side Story. The prospect of my favorite director reinterpreting one of my favorite musicals is irresistible. I'm also excited to see Rachel Zegler make her feature debut in the role of Maria due to her exceptional voice (you can find plenty of videos of her singing online).

3. Wonder Woman 1984

Three years ago, Wonder Woman knocked my socks off. It made it onto my Top 10 Films of 2017 list and remains one of my favorite comic-book movies to this day. Gal Gadot is well-cast in the lead role and embodies the heart and spirit of the character effortlessly. Her chemistry with Chris Pine was a shining attribute of the first film, so the return of his character will be interesting, to say the least. Though, I'm somewhat skeptical about how that will be handled. Otherwise, I was impressed by the teaser trailer, and I'm eager to see what direction Patty Jenkins will take this sequel.

2. Dune

Hardly anything is known about Denis Villeneuve's upcoming Dune adaptation, but I'm excited on account of his involvement alone. Villeneuve's been on a hot streak with Prisoners, EnemySicarioArrival, and Blade Runner 2049, and I'm excited to see what he does with a project on this scale. Then, of course, a robust cast including the likes of Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Jason Mamoa, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, and Javier Bardem only intensifies my interest. It seems like a surefire winner in my book. Need I say more?

1. Tenet

Christopher Nolan is one of the few filmmakers whose name is a box office draw. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic to watch him tackle another blockbuster-budgeted original feature. It's been described as his most ambitious work yet, which speaks volumes considering his accomplished resume. I'm also curious to see how his collaboration with new talent in front of the camera and behind the scenes pans out. Nevertheless, I'll always be on board for a Nolan production.

No comments:

Post a Comment