Sunday, December 31, 2017

Top 10 Films of 2017

It's that time of year again where I reflect on all the films I've watched and reviewed to tell you my ten favorites. I made an effort to see a majority of the films released this year, but naturally I missed out on some for various reasons. This year I saw and reviewed 71 films in total, but I'll still publish my thoughts on anything I missed once I see it. In my ranking, I'll have a couple sentences to sum up my thoughts on each film and why I feel it earned a spot on my list. I have reviews uploaded for each one, so if you're interested and haven't done so already, you can read my more in-depth thoughts by clicking the blue title once you're done perusing my list. 

I'd also like to preface my list with a few things for you to consider as you read. First of all, this is my subjective list. Not an objective one. That list would probably look a lot more like the list of Best Picture nominees coming next month, and quite frankly, I don't think any of you are interested in seeing those same exact films appear here. These are the ten films that stuck with me most when the year was all over for an abundance of reasons I'll get around to explaining in a second. Another thing regarding my list is that this is MY list. You're likely and liable to disagree with some of my picks, but that's because film is subjective and speaks differently to everyone. Also, it's a high distinction to be an Honorable Mention. Those films are the ones I struggled leaving off the list, but feel deserve some sort of shot-out, so don't think that I disliked a film because I put it in there. The final thing I'd like to say is that just because something is left off my list doesn't necessarily mean I hated it... I just liked these other films even more when all was said and done. 

Top 10 Films of 2017



10. Wonder Woman

In spite of a lackluster villain, a third act that's not quite on par with the rest of the film, and the baggage of being part of the larger DCEU, Wonder Woman defied all odds to emerge as one of the year's most entertaining blockbusters! Gal Gadot shines here by imbuing all of Diana's best qualities, Chris Pine stands out as a charming love interest, Patty Jenkins did an exceptional job directing her first big budget project, and Rupert Gregson-Williams' score is absolutely electrifying. I know there's been some backlash from a vocal contingent, but I genuinely feel it featured some of the year's most exciting action scenes and took huge strides forward in properly depicting a female superhero. 

9. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is one of the year's strongest films for so many reasons, but it stood out to me because of how well it balanced the extremes of dark comedy and drama while discussing the adverse effects of anger. It also didn't hurt that it was well-written, well-directed, and features plenty of powerhouse performances.

8. Wind River

Of all the films released this year, Wind River was probably the biggest surprise for me. I was hoping it'd be good of course, but I had no idea Taylor Sheridan would leave such a harrowing impression. Like the icy Wyoming landscape presented to the viewer, Wind River is cold and unforgiving with a message audiences will have a hard time forgetting.

7. Coco

Pixar never ceases to amaze me with their ability to tell such emotionally-driven stories through the visual medium of animation. Coco stands as an exemplary reminder of everything the studio is capable of whenever they set their hearts and minds to it. Coco's not only one of the best of the year, but one of their best original films to date thanks to all it had to say on the importance of family and culture while also ensuring audiences enjoyed themselves.

Trilogies don't always land on solid ground with their third installments, but War for the Planet of the Apes cemented the Ceasar trilogy as one of the greatest cinematic trilogies ever made. It was epic, emotional, and never lost sight of the series' values. Andy Serkis delivers one of his best motion-capture performances yet while the WETA visual effects team presented some of their best work ever. After it was over, I couldn't fight the desire to bow down and hail Caesar.  

The Shape of Water is such a beautiful film in so many ways. It's got an attractive aesthetic, important messages to impart, and most impressively, it tells a surprisingly deep love story without either of the two love interests uttering a word. It's simply one of those films that reminded me why I ever fell in love with cinema.

4. Logan

I grew up watching Hugh Jackman's Wolverine for seventeen years. He's genuinely one of the best cast comic book movie characters ever... Knowing he was leaving the role for good was saddening in and of itself. However, Logan was everything Hugh Jackman's sentimental send-off needed to be. It was raw, emotional, and character driven all the way through. It upended the comic book genre by going the way of the Western and it worked extraordinarily well. I'm not even a huge fan of the character of Wolverine, but I consider it to be the greatest comic book movie ever made, and the only one aside from The Dark Knight to truly be deserving of major awards contention.

In a year filled with sequels, reboots, and comic book adaptations, Baby Driver was something entirely original from the brilliant mind of Edgar Wright. It had a tank full of heart, humor, and unpredictability that made it stand out as something truly special amongst the hub-bub of summer blockbusters. I can't say it enough, but this film floored me. Wright's determination to meticulously match the diverse soundtrack full of rockin' tunes with all the insanity occurring onscreen is commendable alone. The fact he managed to pull that off while telling an engaging story about such charming characters only goes to show he's not a creative force to be reckoned with.

Few directors can consistently deliver intellectually and emotionally stirring work, but Denis Villeneuve kept up his streak with Blade Runner 2049Blade Runner 2049 is simply a masterwork in more ways than one. It's one of the most beautiful films I think I've EVER laid eyes on thanks to Roger Deakins, it features my favorite film score of the entire year from Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch, and it expands its world in organic ways while telling a fascinating story. I'm absolutely positive Blade Runner 2049 will become an influential source for many up-and-coming filmmakers.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi split the fanbase right down the middle, and surprisingly wound up being one of the year's most divisive films. You all know where I stand by now, but I was completely taken aback by the rift between fans. It's weird because I watched something that was utterly astounding on so many levels, while others talk about it like they saw something straight out of a trash compactor. Writer and director Rian Johnson dared do to be different and deconstruct Star Wars like no one ever had, and I think it paid off in spades.

No comments:

Post a Comment