Monday, January 1, 2018

Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2018

We've officially rung in the New Year, so it only seems right to look ahead and decide which ten films I'm most looking forward to in 2018. Most of these will be blockbusters because I don't know too much about anything else as of now.

Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2018


10. Ready Player One

It's kind of difficult for me not to be excited for a new Spielberg film. The man's my favorite director and he's not directing too many projects these days, so each new entry to his resume always gets me a bit excited. The trailers for Ready Player One have been very promising and I'm ready to see it all materialize on March 30th!

9. Aquaman

This entry to my list is here primarily on account of my confidence in James Wan as director and Jason Mamoa in the role of Aquaman. We haven't seen any trailers for Aquaman yet, but Jason Mamoa was great in Justice League and I'm very curious to see how Wan will handle the underwater seqeunces in Atlantis (because I'm sure there will be A LOT). Here's hoping that Wan can pull off something similar to what Patty Jenkins did last year with Wonder Woman.

8. Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Mission: Impossible 6 made my list simply because I've loved the last few entries in the franchise. Most of the cast is returning, except for Jeremy Renner since he had his plate full with the two upcoming Avengers movies. We haven't seen much of the film aside from some still photos, but I'm also curious to see if that all that drama over Henry Cavill's mustache was worth it. That mustache better knock my socks off, because otherwise, I don't really see why it mattered.

7. Solo: A Star Wars Story

How could I possibly make a list of the films I'm most excited for and leave off an upcoming Star Wars film? I can't, hence why Solo made my list. Solo wasn't exactly a Star Wars Story I wanted to see, but I'll take what I can get from Lucasfilm and Disney. I know the developments behind the scenes seem troubling, but I'm hoping Ron Howard can pull it off! Maybe a trailer will excite me some more, but till then, here's to remaining cautiously optimistic till May 25th!

6. Ant-Man and the Wasp

Ant-Man was one of the funniest entries to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so naturally its sequel made its way onto my list. Adding to that, Ant-Man made a huge impression during the airport battle in Captain America: Civil War, Evangeline Lily finally gets to fly into the fray as Wasp, and Michelle Pfeiffer is joining the incredible ensemble as Janet Van Dyne. I'm also guessing that it will be another small-scaled story with enormous personal stakes, so I can't wait to see what Peyton Reed has in store for the size-changing superheroes on July 6th.

5. Isle of Dogs

This is probably the entry on my list that you're most confused by, but Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors working today due to his quirky style and sensibilities as a filmmaker, and Isle of Dogs is his next project. Isle of Dogs looks to be another peculiar project for Anderson in the same stop-motion style as Fantastic Mr. Fox, one of my favorites from the auteur artist, so I can't help it that the trailer had me wagging my tail.

4. Deadpool 2

Deadpool was a film that could have gone wrong in so many ways, but wound up being a match made in heaven for the Merc with a Mouth. It was meta, hilarious, entertaining, and most importantly, R-Rated. There's no better possible casting choice for the role than Ryan Reynolds, and I can't wait to see what he does with the role here. It was a little concerning when the first film's director, Tim Miller, left due to creative differences, but I genuinely hope his replacement, David Leitch, can recapture the spark that lit theaters ablaze at the beginning of 2016. Although, the marketing campaign already seems to have that ball rolling with the "Wet on Wet" teaser they've released.

3. Black Panther

Black Panther looks awesome on so many levels. The idea of pairing Ryan Cooler, the director of Creed and Fruitvale Station, with an exceptional ensemble consisting of Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o, Daniel Kaluuya, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Sterling K. Brown, Andy Serkis, and Martin Freeman is cool enough on paper. The fact it's a Marvel movie and the first solo outing for the King of Wakanda only makes it a million times cooler. Black Panther is one of my favorite Marvel heroes and was one of my favorite parts of Captain America: Civil War, so I'm enormously excited that we're only a month away from his first feature film.


2. Incredibles 2

I've waited to see a sequel to The Incredibles for FOURTEEN years! It's still one of my favorite films from Pixar, Brad Bird's returning to the write and direct in the realm of animation, and it's picking up right where the first left off with the fantastic family of supers, so I couldn't possibly be more excited for June 15th.

1. Avengers: Infinity War

My number one choice on this list is a no-brainer. This is the culmination of ten years and nineteen films of build-up inside an unprecedented cinematic universe, and we're finally going to see the Avengers square off against Thanos. It looks to be epic in every way imaginable, and perhaps we'll finally get to see Captain America yell "Avengers, Assemble!" My spidey-senses are tingling just thinking about the release date of May 4, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment