Sunday, December 24, 2017

'Justice League' Review

Considering this review won't be out till at least a month after the film's release date, I'm going to include spoiler sections to discuss certain things in more detail. There will be clear spoiler warnings to mark these as a means of forewarning those who've yet to watch Justice League.

[This review was originally written in November 2017 and is now being published that my internship is over. For an explanation of this, visit my Fall 2017 Important Update post.] 

When Justice League opens, the world is still in mourning over the death of Superman. However, once an intergalactic evil emerges in the form of Steppenwolf and his legions of Parademon minions, Batman and Wonder Woman must unite a team of gifted individuals consisting of Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman if they're to have any hope at stopping Steppenwolf from destroying the world by combining the three mythical Mother Boxes to form the Unity.
The Justice League's first comic appearance was in the year 1960, and fifty seven years later, we're finally seeing them team up on the big screen for the first time. This cinematic culmination has been a long time coming, and after the success of The Avengers in 2012, comic book fans knew a live action incarnation was possible. There have been a few attempts to adapt the iconic superhero team over the years, but none of these successfully made it into any theater screens as each one was canned early in production. However, it's evident that Marvel Studios' success inspired Warner Bros. to try and get their own shared universe of films off the ground, leading to the DC Extended Universe we know today including Man Of SteelBatman v Superman: Dawn of JusticeSuicide Squad, and Wonder Woman.
Now, to say that the DCEU had a rocky start would be an enormous understatement, as they didn't have a commercial hit on their hands till earlier this summer with Wonder Woman. Everything preceding that stood out as divisive among both critics and average audiences, so it almost goes without saying that Warner Bros. had a lot riding on the success of Justice League considering they pumped $300 M into making comic-book readers' dreams a reality.
Note: Sadly, the film only brought in an underwhelming $93.8 M in its opening weekend, which is REALLY puny considering how iconic these characters are... For comparison, the first Iron Man made $98.6 M in its opening weekend when his character was a relative unknown back in 2008... I genuinely hope positive word of mouth spreads among audiences so it can make back more of its budget over time...
Anyways, the film's production took a turn for the worse earlier this year when director Zack Snyder departed the project to deal with the aftermath of his daughter's tragic suicide. From that point on, Joss Whedon, writer-director of both The Avengers and Avengers: Age Of Ultron, took over the post production process and reportedly reshot a substantial portion of the film. This development left me at odds to what I should possibly expect as I was of course excited to finally see these classic comic characters interacting with one another on the big screen, but the production's developments were troubling to say the least. Therefore, I chose to guard my optimism by hoping for the best, but also preparing for the worst. Thankfully, Justice League pleasantly surprised me as an entertaining use of two hours.
Due to the particularly unusual events that transpired behind the scenes, I'm not entirely sure who I should credit for what, so I'll do my best to avoid acknowledging any individual aspects to either Snyder or Whedon. This is especially evident in the fact Justice League didn't particularly feel like a Snyder film. For the most part, Justice League is a fusion of Synder's visual sensibilities and Whedon's quippy dialogue, which I've gotta say I liked. Chris Terrio is the other credited writer on both the story and screenplay, sharing story responsibility with Snyder and having originally shaped the script (although it's unclear precisely how much of the dialogue is Whedon's). Ultimately though, I feel the film was reconstructed by Warner Bros. in the wake of Snyder's tragedy.
Perhaps watching the film with that foresight made me more forgiving of the final product, but I'm of the belief that the first and foremost purpose of a blockbuster is to entertain, and Justice League sufficiently achieved that for me as an audience member, so I can overlook some of the film's shortcomings in the grand scheme of things. Not all of my opinions regarding Justice League are sunshine and roses though as the pacing of the project feels like it was hurriedly assembled by the Flash, the CGI was so-so, Danny Elfman's score is fairly forgettable, Steppenwolf is a thoroughly average antagonist, and the first fifteen minutes of the film are an absolute chore to sit through due to an unbearable opening credits montage paired with Sigrid's cover of the song "Everybody Knows."
Ultimately though, it's the ensemble that outweigh the inadequate elements. I had quite a few concerns in regards to casting, but the actors I was worried about proved me wrong. The chemistry between the cast was incredible, and I genuinely had a smile on my face about every time the characters were interacting with one another because it was simply satisfying to finally see a live action Justice League! In the action department, nothing in the film will absolutely blow you away, but it's all enjoyable and well-constructed so you'll have a hard time hiding that smile on your face.
Up first amongst the league is Batman, and Ben Affleck continues to don the cowl with a confidence that makes his Bruce Wayne one of the best brought to cinema screens. Affleck does a good job keeping the character from ever feeling too quippy while bringing the brooding we saw in Batman v. Superman down a notch. Even though I don't feel his performance here was quite as impressive as his last outing (possibly because he seems disinterested in the franchise with the announcement he'd like to segue out of the DCEU in a cool way), I also feel like he didn't phone it in.
Next up, there's the Amazon warrior, Wonder Woman! Gal Gadot proves once again she was well-cast and embodies all of Diana's intrepid, admirable attributes with a performance that's both fierce and down-to-earth in her more vulnerable moments. If you've liked what you've seen of Wonder Woman so far in her own standalone movie or even the third act of Batman v. Superman, you'll be more than happy with her here. The only gripe I have related to her character whatsoever has absolutely nothing to do with Gadot, but rather the way the camera's angled around her character... I noticed numerous "butt" shots where the camera was positioned very low and angled upwards looking STRAIGHT at her rear, which just felt like a step backwards to me in regards to properly portraying a female superhero when you consider how successfully Wonder Woman didn't sexualize her. There's also one joke that will probably rub some people the wrong way, but I honestly didn't mind because it's a quick "it happened and it's over" thing.
Third is the robust Atlantean, Aquaman. For his first outing, I've got to say Jason Mamoa fit comfortably as a rougher, tougher Aquaman than the version general audiences are familiar with from say... Super Friends. Anyways, Mamoa's rockstar attitude will really radically change people's perspective on the character as he does some awesome things. 
Following suit is the cybernetic Cyborg. Ray Fisher was one of the actors I was most concerned about, simply because I was worried the character might come off as monotonous and robotic, but Fisher really nailed grounding the character without getting lost underneath all the CGI. Fisher truly felt half cybernetic and half human, and I quickly got over his unexceptional aesthetic that alarmed me in the trailers.
Among the cast, I've got to surprisingly say that Ezra Miller was actually the runaway star as Flash! The Flash is my favorite DC Comics character, so I was obviously excited to see a cinematic take compared to the one currently on television, but I was seriously concerned with how this portrayal of the scarlet speedster was going to turn out based on the trailers and everything I'd seen previously. Thankfully, Miller lightens the mood in just the right way as his screen presence really electrified the experience for me and most of his humor landed.

**Spoiler Warning**

Last, but certainly not least, there's Superman. I've placed him in the spoiler section because quite franky, his return is a spoiler, no matter how obvious it was... At any rate, he's back... and better than ever!! If you're someone who's been continuously dissatisfied with Henry Cavill's take on Superman, then don't fret... This is the Superman you've been waiting to see! While the circumstances behind his return were completely contradictory to everything I'd possibly imagined, it made sense and I felt it was handled well for the most part. My only gripe was that his change of heart came a little quicker than I'd have liked. I understood that Lois snapped him out of his funk, but it all still seemed sudden to me once he got to his farm. Also, it was a little weird how calmly Lois and Martha accepted his return... Like they just kind of shrugged it off as though it was some everyday occurrence... 
Anywho, there's the whole mustache debacle that's off paramount importance to this review! If you didn't already know, Henry Cavill is in Mission: Impossible - Fallout and his character has to have a mustache for that film. Well, Justice League reshoots lapsed with a break in filming for M:I 6 when Tom Cruise got injured on set. Warner Bros. was presented with two alternatives, either shave the stache and foot the bill to digitally add it in on M:I 6 or to digitally remove it themselves... While those obviously weren't the only options for the studio, Warner Bros. decided to remove it digitally for whatever reason. Perhaps I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for all the reports about it, but there's clearly something off about Henry Cavill's upper lip, and it just doesn't look right... If you're wondering what I feel the studio should have done, then look no further for I think they should have just filmed with the stache all the way!!! I think a petition should be drafted demanding a Mustache Cut of the film or at least a Blu-Ray featurette all about removing the mustache! Also, the above picture is photoshopped and not at all legitimate... but the mustache story is... I promise. 

**End of spoilers**

Then I suppose I must mention Steppenwolf, only the most generic antagonist imaginable. I'm completely apathetic towards the character because I didn't have high hopes for him as a villain anyways, and I'm perfectly okay with that if the villain stinks on account of focusing attention towards the heroes. Ciarán Hinds voices the CG-creation and does everything he can, but the lack of setup and screen-time for the character renders his work useless. I've seen many people pointing to him as one of the worst comic book movie villains ever made, but I find that to be an absurd over-exaggeration when you look at his competition... Enchantress alone makes him bearable in comparison, and that's not even factoring in anything from Batman & Robin... Oh, and there are also two post credit scenes well worth watching... I'm not sure the movie will still be in theaters when this review's out, but at least you know!
The worst thing I can say about Justice League is that the film doesn't quite do justice to its classic characters as their first onscreen team-up. Regardless of its faults, the film is a heck of a lot of fun though, and I think that's what really matters at the end of the day. Do I want to see what Snyder's version would have been like? I'd love to see some semblance of an extended cut to flesh things out, but a version fully realizing Snyder's vision seems unlikely for budgetary reasons. Justice League may not have lit up like the bright beacon in Gotham City shining for the Caped Crusader, but it still shined as an enjoyable effort that entertained me while leaving me excited about the DCEU's future films... Bring on Aquaman! Bring on Wonder Woman 2! Bring on Flashpoint! Bring on The Batman! Heck, bring on Cyborg! BRING ON Justice League 2!!! That is, if this franchise is going to continue...

Film Assessment: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment