Sunday, December 24, 2017

Star Wars Speculation: The Star Wars Saga Ranked

Welcome, everyone! It's now been a little over a week since the release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi and I've now seen the film four times, so I feel confident enough to share my ranking of the Star Wars Saga. First of all, I'd like to remind people this is my ranking of the Star Wars, so the likelihood it won't match yours is very high. I'd also like to preface this by saying that MOST of these are ranked by a NARROW margin, but at the bottom of the list there's a pretty wide separation between the 8th and 7th slots. I rewatched all of Star Wars chronological canon (including The Clone Wars and Rebels) in the months leading up to The Last Jedi, so I'm quite confident that this is how I feel on the matter. For those curious, click on the blue title text will take you to my reviews of the subsequent films. I'm sure this will be controversial for whatever reason, but it's my honest opinion... So without further ado, here we go!!

The Star Wars Saga Ranked 


9. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

There are really only a few redeeming aspects to The Phantom Menace... The pod-racing and battle droids are cool, the Duel of the Fates is epic, and Qui Gon and Darth Maul are great additions to the Saga. Other than that, it's the Star Wars with the most Jar Jar, child Anakin, and is most bogged down in intergalactic politics.

8. Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

Attack of the Clones does admittedly have an awful romance, but I grew up with the Prequels and quite enjoy all the action on Coruscant, Kamino, and Geonosis. Jango Fett's an awesome addition, the introduction of the Clone army is handled well, there's less Jar Jar, and the seeds are sewn for Anakin's fall to the Dark side.

This will probably be one of the more controversial choices on my list. For whatever reason, I know a lot of people who think Rogue One is the best Star Wars film by far... and I've never understood that. I do especially like K-2SO, the third act battle on and above Scarif, Vader's hallway scene, Gareth Edward's sense of scale throughout, how it feels like a "war" film, and that it adds greater weight to the events of A New Hope. However, the first two acts can be quite boring on rewatch, there's a lack of real characterization and subsequent character depth, the CG-Tarkin and Leia aren't quite where they needed to be, and there's some really strange stuff involving Saw Gerrera.

I think Revenge of the Sith gets a bad wrap because it's embroiled in the controversy of the Prequel Trilogy, but hear me out before you click away... Hayden Christensen's acting abilities are greatly improved in this installment and I think the fall of Anakin played out perfectly. The final lightsaber duel on Mustafar is epic and emotional, Order 66 is handled exceptionally well, General Grievous is still an awesome villain in my book, Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor shine as Palpatine and Obi-Wan, and the film contains some truly terrific works from John Williams. That's not even mentioning the battles of Coruscant, Kashyyyk, and Utapau. Sure, some dialogue is horrendous and Lucas' direction isn't up to par with the Original Trilogy... but very few elements of the Prequel Trilogy lived up to those three films... Otherwise, Revenge of the Sith is a solid film and perhaps the most underrated in all of Star Wars.

5. Star Wars

Every moment of the original Star Wars is infinitely iconic. There's no disputing that. It started it all, and for that, I'm incredibly appreciative. Most of the effects hold up to this day, it has one of the greatest film scores of all time, and it tells the classic heroes journey exceptionally well. This is the place where there's a significant gap in my rankings and I love every film from this point-on almost equally. It's not that I dislike Star Wars enough to place it this low, it's more the fact that I appreciate the others marginally more that I ranked them higher.

Have I mentioned how much I LOVED Return of the Jedi growing up? It was probably my favorite one of the bunch as a child because it had all the shenanigans at Jabba's Palace, EWOKS, the ever-amazing Battle of Endor, and the fantastic final confrontation between Luke and Vader. That duel remains one of my favorites, not only because of awesome execution but the internal conflict for both parties. Plus, the redemption of Darth Vader and eventual unmasking remain among my favorite moments in the Saga. And did I mention how cool Jedi Luke is? 

Say what you will about The Force Awakens, but it's the film I had been waiting for since first finishing Return of the Jedi. I realize I wasn't around for the glory days of Star Wars, but the wait felt long nevertheless, and I doubt there will ever truly be a film I eagerly anticipate nearly on the same level of The Force Awakens. It was the righteous return of Star Wars that passed the torch down to a new generation, blending old and new elements to successfully revitalize the franchise. I love everything about it, and no one can convince me otherwise. 

The Empire Strikes Back is THE quintessential sequel. It's the middle chapter where evil triumphs, and ends after one of the most memorable and unforeseen cinematic plot twists of all time. It's a sequel that's not just concerned about pitting audiences in the action, but one that spends some quality time with its characters while really putting them through the wringer. It has countless classic moments and heaps of quotable dialogue that I still hear recited today. 

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I already know this will be the choice that I'll have to defend for quite some time, but I firmly stand behind it... I can't help but respect Rian Johnson for upheaving Star Wars' traditional story structure in order to allow the franchise to evolve. Johnson takes risks left and right in the vein of George Lucas, and I felt that it all paid off tremendously well. Everything that happens is unexpected because it's unlike anything I've ever seen from a Star Wars movie before, yet it feels like the only possible way for the story to continue. It not only has the most unique narrative in the saga, but contains some of the coolest action sequences and moments as well, and each of them has stuck with me to this very day. I know Star Wars fans are already bitterly divided on this one, but I still feel that that's because they're not willing to accept such bold changes in a franchise they revere so much. Just let go and learn to appreciate the awesomeness.

-So that's all I have for you today... As always, May the Force be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment