Thursday, October 15, 2015

Throwback Thursday Review: 'Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones'

Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be released this December, and since the Star Wars films are among my favorites, I thought I should go back and review all six. I decided to review them in the order they chronologically take place because it seemed odd to start with the Original Trilogy then do the prequels then The Force Awakens. This week I will be releasing my reviews for both Episode II and Episode III because I was unable to review Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones last week as I didn't have time to rewatch the film and I would have preferred to have a clearer perspective on my thoughts on the film as opposed to what I remembered. Be forewarned as this review will contain spoilers since the film came out in 2002 so it has been out for 13 years. If you have yet to read my review of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace you can view it by clicking this hyperlink Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. And you won't have to wait for my review on Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith as I am also uploading that review today. Next week I will take a break from the Star Wars reviews to review the more recent James Bond films in preparation for Spectre


'Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones' Review


Nominated For: Best Visual Effects.

Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones is amongst the prequels, which as I discussed in my Phantom Menace review are regarded as the worst Star Wars films and I have a somewhat mixed perspective on this one, as there are some aspects I love that I feel really deepen the Star Wars mythos and there are some things that somewhat taint the saga.
The film opens with some breathtaking visuals, which I consider to be the best part of this film. The visual effects in Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones are top notch and I have yet to completely understand fans complaints regarding the use of CGI in the film. I think that this film has among the best visuals of the saga, and honestly I think the CGI was utilized quite effectively.
In regards to the story, this film is slightly weaker than The Phantom Menace, as it has a large romantic subplot that really makes the film drag as the film is slightly unfocused at times.
However, there are some great action scenes in the film. These include a great chase scene, a fight between Obi Wan and Jango Fett (a space battle and physical confrontation), as well as all of the events that occur towards the end of the film on Geonosis.
The last act of the film that takes place on Geonosis is by far the best part of the film, and what always captivated me as a child. I've got to say the nostalgia for this portion of the film managed to hold up as I still enjoy the final act.
In particular I like the fight scene in the factory, the Genesis Arena fight scene that pits Anakin, Obi Wan, and Padme up against some ferocious creatures, the remainder of the action scenes on Genesis when the Jedi and Clones arrive to fight and the final lightsaber battle between Dooku against Yoda, Obi Wan, and Anakin. The film also includes a tidbit of humor mainly due to the inclusion of C3PO and R2D2 that I always find to be quite amusing.
One thing I have noticed that this film is constantly berated for is the performances, and I do agree that is the film's glaring weakness, but I don't think the performances are terrible as there are redeeming qualities to be found in each performance throughout the film. Most notably Hayden Christensen, who portrays an older Anakin Skywalker, is the one who receives the most criticism. I do agree that some of the criticism is justified as Christensen gives a somewhat wooden, non emotional performance for the first third of the film.
However, Christensen does something incredible and gives a very powerful performance in the sequence where he is searching for his mother who was kidnapped by Tusken Raiders. In this entire sequence, Christensen gives so much passion to the performance with a majority of this sequence having no dialogue allowing Christensen to communicate the emotional pain and suffering of Anakin through very passionate facial expressions. This translates into a terrific performance and the only sequence in the film that allowed me to believe that Anakin is indeed Darth Vader as he comes across as a menacing tortured individual which is exactly what Darth Vader is. Unfortunately he doesn't really maintain this for the remainder of the film and comes across as either whiney, sulky, or very wooden.
Ewan McGregor once again returns to the role of Obi Wan, but this time is allowed to play an wiser more experienced version of the character, and I feel that he excels in the role while honoring Sir Alec Guinness' performance.
Natalie Portman just gives a bland performance this time around as Padme Amadala.
Christopher Lee is allowed to be an interesting villain as Count Dooku with some great monologuing and the character Count Dooku is fun to watch in the final lightsaber battle, but interesting tidbit Lee did little to no of the choreography himself due to his age and I believe was CGI'd into the film.
Samuel L. Jackson gives a great performance as Mace Windu for the little screen time that is allotted for his character.
In regards to characters that I have yet to discuss (including the performances), Yoda is finally allowed to be seen in action, and it's quite enjoyable to watch him jump around in the lightsaber battle (Honestly that always makes me chuckle a little because of how ridiculous it looks) but it makes sense why Yoda is regarded to be the most powerful of the Jedi. I can't really discuss an actor for Yoda since he is only voiced by Frank Oz and primarily CGI, but as a character Yoda is always enjoyable onscreen.
Jango Fett is a great addition as he carries over a similar persona to that of his son in the Original Trilogy, which allows for an explanation of the origin of Boba Fett as well as the Clone Trooper army (that eventually becomes the foundation of the Stormtroopers).
I liked the inclusion of both R2D2 and C3PO once again as they didn't feel forced into the film and provided some entertaining scenes. So once again, I'm very glad they are a part of each of the films in the saga. Also Jar Jar Binks has a significantly reduced role for this film which is one significant improvement from The Phantom Menace.
George Lucas does manage to correct upon some mistakes made in The Phantom Menace, but is still unable to completely recapture the magic of the Original Trilogy. Although there are fleet glances at some moments that do recapture the magic. An enjoyable cinematic experience with breathtaking visuals and entertaining action but among the lower end of the spectrum amongst the Star Wars Saga.

Film Assessment: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment