Saturday, April 14, 2018

Throwback Thursday Review: 'The Avengers'

Sorry for the lack of Throwback Thursday Reviews recently, as well as the delay on this review, but I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to set aside time to write these in the final weeks of my spring semester as assignments, projects, and exams head my way. If you'd like to have an idea of upcoming content for the blog, read the next few paragraphs. Otherwise, go ahead and skip past to read my review of The Avengers.

I mentioned this in my last Throwback Thursday Review, but all my finals are scheduled the same week Avengers: Infinity War will be released, so there won't be any Throwback Thursdays for the remainder of this month. Reviews you can expect for the remainder of April include my thoughts on Rampage and Avengers: Infinity War, and I'll be writing a Triple-R for Avengers: Age of Ultron next week instead of a Throwback Thursday Review to tie into the Marvel motif. 

Speaking of which, I began my Marvel marathon to prepare myself for Infinity War and successfully watched all of Phase One last weekend (this means Iron ManThe Incredible HulkIron Man 2ThorCaptain America: The First Avengerand, of course, The Avengers). I hope to watch all the Phase Two this weekend and get through Phase Three next weekend. I won't be re-reviewing all of them because that's a daunting task to complete before April 27th, but it's been a while since I last shared my MCU ranking so I'm reranking the films as I watch them to share my most accurate ranking with you all. However, I'm going to hold off till Ant-Man and the Wasp is released in July since that will be the twentieth installment to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I like the idea of rounding out my list by ranking twenty rather than nineteen. I'll also have a better idea of where Infinity War fits by then, so it's truly for the best.

'The Avengers' Review


Nominated For: Best Visual Effects.

When Thor's mischievous, evil brother Loki gains control of the mystical, all powerful Tesseract, Earth is threatened by the prospect of alien invasion. In response, S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Nick Fury implements the Avengers Initiative and calls upon Earth's mightiest heroes to come together and learn to fight as a team to defeat this unprecedented threat. 
Believe it or not, but The Avengers is somehow the one entry of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that I have yet to review. I wasn't blogging at the time and hardly had any online presence aside from perhaps... Facebook? I was barely a freshman in high school and I'm now about to enter my Senior year of college. Nevertheless, I can remember my initial experience and anticipation going into the film vividly. This was among one of my first experiences watching a blockbuster that felt like a genuine event. It was the culmination of six other films that brought together characters on a scale never before seen or attempted for that matter. Sure, there have been other feature length crossovers before The Avengers, but never one that was THIS grand. It was like a comic-book crossover, but on the big screen. 
Comic-book movies had made big bucks before, but this was the first one to really break the bank as it emerged to be the third highest grossing film of all time worldwide with the highest opening weekend of all time at the time of release. It's since fallen to fifth highest grossing worldwide with the fourth highest opening weekend, but that's an impressive hold considering those above it are established franchises. I say all this not simply to tell you the film was successful, as you probably already know that, but to stress its importance as an instant worldwide phenomenon. B/C-list comic-book characters became easily recognizable and an integral part of modern pop culture in almost an instant. Anyways, enough about my attachment to The Avengers and its major success. You came here to read a review, didn't you?
The Avengers was written and directed by Joss Whedon, with Zak Penn co-credited for the feature's story. Say what you will about the man for his work on Justice League, but that was hardly his fault and there's no denying Whedon's got geek-cred when you look at his long list of writing credits. In fact, Whedon's ability to write quippy one-liners is undoubtedly his strongest asset as a filmmaker. I say this not because the lines are funny, but because they're genuinely quotable. I can recite an embarrassing amount of dialogue from The Avengers off the top of my head, and it's not just because I've seen the film countless times. It's because those lines are memorable and stuck with me through thick-and-thin for the last six years. While it may be a bit too early to cement The Avengers as a classic blockbuster, it's undeniably become a significant cornerstone of pop culture in the years since its release.
When you zero in on what Whedon brought to the project as a director, you'll quickly find that he handled tone and action remarkably well. The Avengers is equal parts serious, exciting, and immensely entertaining. A sense of stakes are integrated from the outset, it's a delight to see the heroes' personalities clash as they come together in middle, and the third act never ceases to amaze as I'm subjected to an overwhelming sense of awe and wonder with each and every viewing. I'm always particularly amazed by the tracking shot spotlighting each of the Avengers as they fight amidst the Battle of New York. The action spread throughout is all great though as some of Earth's Mightiest Heroes duke it out with each other before finally coming together for the greater good. One more element that definitely deserves a mention is the score composed by Alan Silvestri. Silvestri's score is really responsible for much of the film's gravitas, but is often overlooked in favor of complementing the film's other components. 
The Avengers is also one of many Marvel productions to have been nominated for Best Visual Effects by the Academy, and it's not too hard to see why. It's been six years since its release, yet the effects haven't aged a day. Go back to other effects-heavy blockbusters released in 2012 and you'll find that's not always the case. The respective designs for Hulk and Iron Man are among the best visual renderings of those characters to this very day. The Iron Man armor doesn't look too sleek and streamlined while Hulk isn't an odd rubbery-looking shade of green. They're each just right. 
If I were to nitpick, the first act doesn't lend itself well to rewatches in comparison to the rest of the MCU. However, the build-up is necessary and still entertaining. It's just a bit tedious as I always find myself eager to see the characters meet each other again, but the wait's always worth it because the character interactions are always incredible to behold. Just about every character thrown into the mix interacts with others in one form or another (whether it be verbal sparring or a physical confrontation). Which, in and of itelf, is kinda why The Avengers is still charming.
Of course, the film needed to assemble a worthy ensemble if this was ever going to work, but Marvel's casting department thankfully hasn't let us down yet! Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner are all the spitting image of their comic-book counterparts and embody their characters in a way that I can hardly see any other actors taking over in the future. I'm not going to get into the nitty-gritty for each character because you've probably heard me praise them all in other reviews, but Ruffalo in particular was a big step-up from Edward Norton's Bruce Banner/Hulk. Not that Norton's a bad actor, but Ruffalo has a better grasp on the character in my opinion. I think Ruffalo is a more believable scientist as Banner and better communicates the character's struggle and inner darkness in ways Norton just wasn't suited for. 
As for supporting S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders, and Clark Gregg are equally perfect for the respective roles of Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Phil Coulson. Jackson's got the grit for Fury, Smulders is sufficiently badass as Hill, and I can hardly end the review without taking time to spotlight Coulson. Clark Gregg was such a delightful presence in the cinematic side of things so, of course, that's how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. came about. I really have missed the character in the films and am ecstatic about the recent news he'd be returning in Captain Marvel since that takes place in the '90s. However, I'd still like to see Coulson encounter the Avengers again sometime in the future.
Last, but certainly not least, would be the God of Mischief. To this day, I think The Avengers is Tom Hiddleston's best outing as Loki because he really gets to relish in the villainy before being relegated to an anti-hero in the next two Thor flicks. Hiddleston chews the scenery like there's no tomorrow and plays well paired against the likes of Downey, Jackson, and Johansson to name a few. All the while, Loki's end goal is maniacal, yet understandable due to his upbringing and that's why he's still one of the very best Marvel villains despite his later flirtations with the light side.
I'd daresay The Avengers is irrefutably a defining blockbuster for my generation. It exploded onto the pop-culture scene because it's epic, action-packed, and full of humor and heart. It's been six years, and I still get giddy staring at the above iconic group shot. Few frames have that effect on an individual. Much less the whole globe. 

Film Assessment: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment