Friday, December 11, 2015

'Creed' Review

Nominated For: Best Supporting Actor; Sylvester Stallone.

I finally found time to go see Creed, and can say I was very impressed! I had heard plenty positive buzz, but avoided allowing that to affect my perception. However, I can say I whole-heartingly agree with all of the love for the film.
Creed is the seventh installment in the Rocky franchise that references events from the previous films while managing to invigorate the franchise. It pays homage to the original while viewing it through the lens of more modern filmmaking. Ryan Coogler directs the film and does a phenomenal job. There have been rumors recently that Coogler may be up to direct one of Marvel's upcoming films Black Panther, and I really hope he lands the gig after seeing Creed.
Coogler effectively works with the cinematographer to create some incredible shots. The fighting sequences were very well shot, with one lengthy fight done in one-take to great effect. The very tightly knit camerawork matches the fighting choreography for the film and remains very focused on the action effectively. Coogler utilizes slow motion, POV shots and some very tight frames to really add to the intensity of the action.
The film also takes full advantage of the classical musical score from Rocky subtly inserting it in small doses throughout the film till the training sequence that rivals that of the original while paying homage to that classic scene as well. When the film reaches this training scene that clearly parallels the original classic scene, it no longer holds back. The iconic score and the trumpets begin to blast and it really adds to the experience of the film.
The performances in the film are limited to a few key characters, in particular Jordan and Stallone. Michael B. Jordan brings a feeling of intensity to the film and proves he is very capable as the leading man portraying Adonis Creed.
Sylvester Stallone provides what may just be his best performance ever in revisiting the role of Rocky Balboa. Stallone is able to bring the character back while adding new layers of depth to the character with a new air of sagely wisdom, and gives a performance I think could be deemed worthy for awards consideration.
Tessa Thompson brings a more interesting love interest to be paired with Adonis and had some great chemistry onscreen with Jordan, maintaining a presence for the character with an interesting story.
The film's antagonist is played by real life boxer, Tony "Bomber" Bellow, who is serviceable as the villain, but doesn't really bring anything special or much to the role aside from the intense climactic fight.
Overall, I can say that this is one of the best films I've seen all year! Now, I'm going to give it an A+ and I've done that quite a bit with some of my more recent reviews, but be aware that I do hold this score back and only give it to films that I believe deserve it and earn the rating. I can't recommend this film enough and can say I feel it holds up to Rocky and is just as great if not better!


Film Assessment: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment