Saturday, September 19, 2015

Throwback Thursday Review: 'The Hurt Locker'

To add a little more diversity to my Netflix Throwback Thursday Reviews I decided to review The Hurt Locker as it won many Academy Awards including Best Picture in 2010. This film is rated R for intense language and some graphic violence so I would advise against sharing this film with children. This will also conclude my short Netflix reviews as next week I will be reviewing Hotel Transylvania followed by the Star Wars prequels and some of the newer Bond flicks.

'The Hurt Locker' Review 


Nominated For: Best Picture, Best Director; Kathryn Bigelow, Best Actor; Jeremy Renner, Best Original Screenplay, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, Best Original Score, and Best Cinematography.
Won: Best Picture, Best Director; Kathryn Bigelow, Best Original Screenplay, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Sound Editing.

The Hurt Locker surprised me in regards to being more of a thriller than necessarily a war film which I found to be very interesting and inventive. The director Kathryn Bigelow does a terrific job building suspense in scenes where Delta Company is disarming bombs. These scenes had me on the edge of my seat and really added so much to the film adding a subgenera of thriller/suspense in addition to a war flick. The performances on display are all terrific. Jeremy Renner really embodies his reckless character and how far his character is willing to go in order to do his job. It's no surprise Jeremy Renner was nominated for an Oscar. Anthony Mackie and Brian Geraghty both are fantastic as the supporting members of Delta Company and both manage to provide compelling characters for the narrative. The remaining supporting cast have relatively small roles so don't quite have the opportunity to shine in this film. The narrative is very interesting and the underlying message that war can be an addiction. I liked that this perspective was showcased in a war film and I feel it certainly added to the film. The film's weakness was that a few scenes in the film came across as a little boring since there wasn't too much development, or action going on. Overall it's definitely another solid war flick however I personally prefer American Sniper.

Film Assessment: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment