Thursday, September 10, 2015

Throwback Thursday Review: 'Pulp Fiction'

This week I am reviewing Pulp Fiction as I've recently been trying to expose myself to a wider variety of film and decided to watch some Tarantino films that I have yet to see that I know are regarded as classics. Now before I begin the review I feel I should certainly include this disclaimer. This film is rated R and has intense action and language so I highly advise against sharing this film with any children until you feel that they are mature enough to view such content. 

'Pulp Fiction' Review


Nominated For: Best Picture, Best Director; Quentin Tarantino, Best Actor; John Travolta, Best Supporting Actor; Samuel l. Jackson, Best Supporting Actress; Uma Thurman, Best Film Editing, and Best Original Screenplay.
Won: Best Original Screenplay.

Pulp Fiction is filled to the brim with wit, humor, great performances, iconic scenes and lines. Quentin Tarantino is quite gifted with the ability to create such interesting worlds for his original characters to inhabit and does a phenomenal job in his screenwriting creating beautifully crafted scripts with a compelling narrative and 'Pulp Fiction' is certainly no exception. This film's dialogue was hilarious at times and written remarkably well.The performances on display are incredible and the standouts in my opinion were the duo of Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta. Samuel L. Jackson does incredibly well with his lengthy dialogue and keeps you totally engaged every single time he delivers a line in the film. John Travolta provides a charming performance and does quite well when paired with the rest of the supporting cast in scenes. Uma Thurman does well with the role provided and has some interesting scenes with John Travolta in the part of the film that focuses on them. Bruce Willis also manages to do quite well with his role as well making you really care about the stakes for his character in the second part of the film.  My favorite aspect of the film is that it comes full circle and ends right where it began and goes back and fills what could have become major plot holes for the film with a compelling story. Overall, I can say that Pulp Fiction far surpassed my expectations and is now my favorite movie created by Quentin Tarantino.

Film Assessment: A

No comments:

Post a Comment