Tuesday, December 30, 2014

5 Most Underwhelming Films 2014

This year was filled with many great films but I was underwhelmed by a few so I thought I might make a list of these films. Please remember just because these films are on this list doesn't quite mean that I hate the film or dislike it. It just means I had high expectations that the film didn't quite meet.

5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

I seem to be a part of the internet minority that enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man 2 due to the great acting in the film. I will however admit that the story is slightly overcrowded and seems to have only served the purpose of attempting to launch a shared Spider-Man universe that seems to no longer be a part of Sony's plans. I think the problems with the film aren't that there were multiple villains because Rhino only had about ten minutes of screen time and I did enjoy Jamie Fox and Dane Dean's performances as Electro and Harry Osborn. I think the problem is what studio executives chose to cut from the film. It didn't quite live up to what was being advertised as "Spidey's Greatest Battle Yet". This is why this film made the list despite being my favorite Spider-Man film, which I am aware few people agree with me in that statement.

4. The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part One

Another film on this list that I enjoyed but I was underwhelmed because there was little action in the film even though the franchise is built on action. I did like the propaganda aspect of the film though and thought the acting was wonderful. I don't have as much to say on this film since it wasn't quite as controversial.

3. Maleficent

I had very high expectations going to Maleficent because Maleficent is actually my favorite Disney villain but I didn't particularly like the changes from the classic Sleeping Beauty story. I did really enjoy Angelina's portrayal of the character though and did warm up to the film the second time I saw it but I think I probably had too high of expectations for the film.

2. Lucy

I was really looking forward to Lucy because I thought it was interesting to see a super powered female movie and it starred Scarlett Johansson who is one of my favorite current actresses and was intrigued by the trailers for the film but when I saw the film I felt it fell apart towards the end and became very strange and confusing never really resolving what exactly had happened.

1. Godzilla

I did actually like this film but didn't feel that it lived up to the awesome first trailer that had me very excited when it was first released. I thought that a film called Godzilla there would be more Godzilla but the filmmakers decided to save him for an epic reveal and battle towards the end of the film. I did however think that the monster fight at the end was one of the coolest scenes this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment