Saturday, December 27, 2014

'Unbroken' Review

Nominated for: Best Cinematography, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Sound Editing.

So today I saw Unbroken and really enjoyed it! The film has a great story with a central theme of survival, whether it be stranded in the middle of a vast ocean or trying to remain alive in a Japanese internment camp. The story centers around Louis Zamperini, an Olympic athlete who is drafted into World War 2 and must survive through many trials and tribulations. Jack O'Connell delivers a wonderful performance as Zamperbini and undergoes many physical changes to properly tell Zamperbini's story. The cast also had some great supporting actors who certainly add to the story. Angelina Jolie does a great job as the director of the film keeping the story interesting throughout the narrative so this is a great step forward for her as a filmmaker. I liked that this film focused on the Pacific theater of World War 2, which few movies cover. Overall, this film is one of the best I've seen this year and slipped into the center of my top 10 movie list of 2014 that I will reveal on December 31st. However even though the film is Oscar -bait, there is some fierce competition in the Best Picture category so I'm unsure if the film will be nominated but I hope it is. I highly recommend that you take the time to go experience Zamperbini's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment