Saturday, December 26, 2015

'Joy' Review

Nominated For: Best Actress; Jennifer Lawrence.

Joy is the third film directed by David O. Russell starring both Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper that tells the underdog story of a woman who rose in an industry creating many household inventions. I was taken aback by Joy because I wasn't expecting too much upon entering the film but I really enjoyed it. I've noticed that this film's Rotten Tomatoes score as well as it's other reviews are somewhat low for a film that is obviously trying to be an Academy Award contender and I can say that's due to a clunky beginning and a few minor flaws. Some little nitpicks I noticed took me out of the experience were the lack of attention to Joy's son and one little awkward lip-sync that wasn't dubbed over very well. There was one moment where Joy was supposedly speaking to her son but he was hidden behind a door and didn't really say much that I just sat and thought to myself "Hmm I guess they didn't want to pay a child actor for this?" and I would have rather the film makers just ignored the fact she had a son and written him out of the film rather than try to force him into the story. However despite its' flaws, the final two-thirds of Joy are very enjoyable and really hooked me as the story becomes much more engaging. David Russell wrote and directed Joy and nothing he provided quite stood out to me as impressive or noteworthy but rather very reserved in his style. Joy s strength is that it bolsters many great performances. Jennifer Lawrence is terrific stepping into the role of the everywoman struggling to find their true self and really comes across as a strong, independent female character, which leads to some feminist undertones amongst the film's message. These messages don't overtake the film and rather help to service the story. The supporting cast were all serviceable but only a few slightly stood out to me in Joy. Bradley Cooper doesn't have too much to do in the film but is quite serviceable and does well in his role. Robert De Niro gives a great performance as well adding quite a bit of comedic relief to the film. I also enjoyed Edgar Ramírez's interpretation as Joy's ex-husband. As a whole, I can say the cast in Joy are all effective but primarily function as a support system for Jenifer Lawrence boosting her performance. Overall, I can say that Joy is a great film that really surprised me and I would strongly suggest it for those who have already seen Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens and are looking for a new film to watch this weekend.

Film Assessment: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment