Thursday, September 3, 2015

Throwback Thursday Review: 'Top Gun'

To continue my Netflix series of Throwback Thursday Reviews I decided to go with Top Gun since I had yet to see it and heard so much about the film.

'Top Gun' Review


Nominated For: Best Sound, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Original Song "Take My Breath Away" (written by Giorgio Moroder and Tom Whitlock).
Won: Best Original Song "Take My Breath Away" (written by Giorgio Moroder and Tom Whitlock).

This film is regarded by many as a classic film but unfortunately I didn't quite see the magic in Top Gun. I'll avoid "trashing" the film since I'm completely aware it's beloved by many but I will provide insight into what didn't quite work for me. I think the number one priority of a film should be to entertain the audience somehow. This can be done through action, comedy, great performances, and a compelling story. But I wasn't really entertained by this film at all. When the film wasn't in the middle of a dogfight jet sequence it was very boring. The story had no substance. Aside from some great memorable quotes and one-liners, the script was very bland as well. Another blaring weakness for me was the film's score. Whoever was in charge of matching the score to what was going on onscreen honestly did a atrocious job (I can't quite say it was a composer because the film's score consisted of various 80's songs). There were very strange moments that took me out of the film where there would be slow music with action onscreen that was very odd and vice versa. I did however enjoy the aerial footage that was visual stunning and the dog fights were interesting. The performances were all pretty great, especially Tom Cruise who embodied the character of Maverick but the character drama seemed fairly bland to me. Overall, Top Gun is watchable but I personally didn't like it and wouldn't really recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Film Assessment: C

No comments:

Post a Comment