Sunday, September 27, 2015

'Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials' Review

After thoroughly enjoying The Maze RunnerI had high expectations for its sequel and must say Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials didn't quite live up to its predecessor. The Scorch Trials is certainly as action packed, features quality perforamnces, and the cinematography is stunning at times, but there are a few problems with the latest installment.
First off, the film didn't really resolve any questions it left audiences with at the end of The Maze Runner. Instead, it asked even more questions. While I wasn't too bothered by this in the first film since I suspected my questions would eventually be resolved and I liked the sense of mystery, I didn't want that carried over to the sequel.
Director Wes Ball also tried a little too hard to create suspense and while he succeeded a few times, it grew excessive. In a few scenes they tried to draw out suspense and it just didn't quite work for me as it wasn't a surprise to have one of the cranks chase them for example. So the film also was kinda predictable in some moments and I felt that the ending could have been adjusted for a better cliffhanger by cutting out about five minutes. On top of that, The Scorch Trials lacked any drama aside from the mystery as to what was going on, and that's about all I have in terms of nitpicks.
The cinematography was especially gorgeous when characters were in the Scorch as some interesting camera effects enhanced the experience. I felt the visual effects looked great and the fast-paced action sequences were entertaining. One of the most enjoyable aspects was watching the actors run with such intensity. Dylan O'Brien, in particular, has an especially energetic run that's well-captured on camera, like Tom Cruise. As for the cast, Dylan O'Brien, Kaya Scoderlario, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Ki Hong Lee, and Giancarlo Esposito all provided great performances.
I'd say the film was entertaining, but lacked the substance I was hoping for. If you were a fan of The Maze Runner then you should enjoy The Scorch Trials, but I personally prefer the first film. I am especially excited for the final installment because it's rumored not to be split into two films as commonly done with the adaptation of a final book of a series.

Film Assessment: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment