Sunday, September 21, 2014

'The Maze Runner' Review

I went to see this film yesterday and really enjoyed it! I have not read the books yet as I usually read the books when there is a book to movie adaptation done but I definitely plan on reading the series! So I can't exactly compare this to the novel but I'm sure there will be parts from the book that are left out but that typically happens in any book to movie adaptation. Anyways, I enjoyed the plot, characters, and concept of the film (book). 
However one thing that gets a little annoying is that throughout the film the main character, Thomas, is constantly asking questions so the audience can understand what is going on. This is more of the screenwriter's fault but it seems to go away around the middle of the movie when there is more action. To me this seemed like a mixture of Lord of the Flies and The Hunger Games, but there's really only one similarity to The Hunger Games which I won't spoil for you. 
The acting was great and the action scenes left me on the edge of my seat. But there weren't really any stand outs aside from Thomas, Chuck, and Minho. However, since there were so many boys in the maze, when a character died you didn't know who they were so you didn't really care till the end but I won't trudge into spoiler territory. 
But if you are a parent, there are some scenes that are a little intense for children. So I don't recommend bringing your child unless they are 12 years and older or a really brave 8 year old. 
The cinematography was great and there were some shots of the maze that were a-maze-ing to look at, pun intended. And the end of the film sets up for a sequel, that looks to be even better! Overall, this was a great film I advise you to see and I personally can't wait to pick up the book series and start reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment