Friday, February 13, 2015

'Selma' Review

Nominated for: Best Picture, and Best Original Song "Glory" (written by Common and John Legend).
Won: Best Original Song "Glory" (written by Common and John Legend).

I have now seen 7 of the 8 Best Picture nominees and I enjoyed Selma, which is not a Martin Luther King Jr. biopic but about the events that occurred in Selma, Alabama. I liked the depiction of the events and thought this film had a very strong ending that I won't spoil here. I do agree with everyone that thinks David Oyelowo was robbed of an Oscar nomination because he was great, I feel he did a fantastic job depicting Martin Luther King in the film. Also, Oprah has a very small role so don't go expecting a big part from her character. I think that he should have probably been nominated instead of Steve Carell because he gave a better performance. I also don't understand why Selma received a Best Picture nomination but not a Best Director nomination and vice versa for Foxcatcher. I thought Ava DuVernay made some great creative choices and I'm disappointed they weren't rewarded. I did like "Glory"which was written by Common and John Legend but felt the rap was unnecessary but I assume it was included because it is considered to make the song better by the general public. Overall, Selma is a great film and I recommend that you see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment