Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2019

We've officially rung in the New Year, so it only seems right to look ahead and decide which ten films I'm most looking forward to in 2019. Most of these will be blockbusters because I don't know too much about anything else as of now.

Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2019


10. Pokémon: Detective Pikachu

I never thought I'd see a live action Pokémon movie, but here we are. Ryan Reynolds voicing Detective Pikachu is an inspired casting choice, the Pokémon look terrific, and I'm betting this will be a blast at the cinema!

9. Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

Quentin Tarantino working with Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Kurt Russell, Al Pacino, and Margot Robbie? Yes please.

8. How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

The first two How To Train Your Dragon installments are among my favorite animated films ever made. The dynamic between Hiccup and Toothless is heartwarming and the animation quality is incredible. Terrific trilogy cappers are in short supply, but I remain hopeful that The Hidden World will give this franchise the sensational send-off it deserves!

7. Us

Two years ago, Jordan Peele took the world by storm with Get Out. The film approached racism in an incredibly nuanced manner, dominated conversations year-round, was the most profitable release of 2017, and Peele even won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. So of course I'm excited for his follow-up! The Us trailer released on Christmas promised a unique horror experience, and I'm pumped to see it in two and a half months!

6. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Based on how John Wick: Chapter 2 ended, John Wick Chapter 3 looks to be a wild ride! I can't wait to watch Keanu Reeves shoot his way out of this mess because I'm not sure gun-fu's gonna cut it this time.

5. Godzilla: King of the Monsters

A pair of promising trailers, A-list ensemble, and the gargantuan lizard himself have me quite eager to see this sequel.

4. Spider-Man: Far From Home

I love Spider-Man: Homecoming and Tom Holland's iteration of the wall-crawler so I'm looking forward to seeing this sequel swing into theaters this summer! Of course, there's the obvious question of how Spider-Man is alive and whether Sony will accidentally spoil Endgame in their marketing or not, but I'm choosing to remain optimistic!

3. Knives Out

With Rian Johnson at the helm of a murder mystery featuring an all star cast of Daniel Craig, Ana De Armas, Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Christopher Plummer, Toni Collette, and LaKeith Stanfield  how could I not be excited for Knives Out? Get ready because another masterpiece is inbound from Johnson!


2. Avengers: Endgame

"We are in the endgame now." Avengers: Endgame may not be the final installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it will likely close out an eleven year journey for many characters while opening up a new chapter for this franchise. There's a lot riding on Endgame, and I feel the inevitable resolution to undoing Thanos' snap could lessen the end of Infinity War if handled incorrectly. I trust the Russo Brothers can get it done.

1. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

It probably doesn't surprise anyone that I'd have a Star Wars film at the top of my list. While there's been contentious debate surrounding the Disney era of Star Wars films, I've been very satisfied with everything released thus far. Maybe there will be an Episode X later down the line, but for now, Episode IX is intended to wrap up the sequel trilogy and Skywalker Saga as we know it. We still know very little and I trust J.J. will keep information close to the chest, but I can't wait! Still, it's a bitter sweet feeling knowing this could be the last time we see the Skywalkers onscreen...

No comments:

Post a Comment