Monday, November 12, 2018

'Suspiria' (2018) Review

Young American dancer Susie Bannion arrives in 1970s Berlin to audition for the world-renowned Helena Markos Dance Co. When she vaults to the role of lead dancer, the woman she replaces breaks down and accuses the company's female directors of witchcraft. Meanwhile, an inquisitive psychotherapist and a member of the troupe uncover dark and sinister secrets as they probe the depths of the studio's hidden underground chambers.
Directed by Luca Guadagnino, Suspiria is a remake of the 1977 film which is widely considered a classic among the horror community (I've never seen the original, so I can't really compare the two or offer my own thoughts). If there's one thing that I'm certain of though, it's that Suspiria will likely be one of the more polarizing films to be released this year. Frankly, I'm surprised it still has a fresh audience score on Rotten Tomatoes (currently at 72%). I say that because I consider Suspiria to be arthouse horror and general audience members tend to hate those sorts of films. I, myself, am even conflicted on the film and will be the first to admit that it just wasn't for me, similarly to last year's mother!.
Like mother!, Suspiria wavers between being meandering and bloodcurdling. Similarly to how I felt about mother!, I respected its craft but was unable to invest myself in the story due to the cold, composed characterization. An opening title card informs the viewer that the film contains "six acts and an epilogue set in divided Berlin," but I'll go ahead and let you know the sixth act is a blood-thirsty fever dream. If that sounds up your alley, then by all means, go see Suspiria if it's playing near you. Otherwise, I'd stay as far away as possible because it's very long and relentlessly violent.
My biggest knock against Suspiria aside from its cold characterization would be that its two and a half hour long runtime was quite excessive. If you're immersed in the film's atmosphere, this probably won't be an issue, but I found myself bored during many of the dialogue and dance sequences, then mortified for the remainder. Otherwise, it's competently made and features an exceptional ensemble. The cinematography and score are entrancing while the hair and makeup work is extraordinary to say the least, allowing Tilda Swinton to camouflage herself and embody three different roles. I was just unengaged with the story unfolding and deeply disturbed by much of the unsettling imagery.
Though I found Suspiria to be mostly aimless, even I'll admit that the cast did an excellent job all around. Dakota Johnson, Mia Goth, and Tilda Swinton were stand-outs in particular, but the cascade of supporting actresses did a fine job as well. Really, I didn't hate this film so much as I was repeatedly repelled by it. If it's any consolation, I'm astounded that this came from the director of Call Me By Your Name and my objective score would be a bit higher.
If you're into gore, guts, and grotesque body contortion, then this just might be the movie for you! As the official Suspiria Twitter account likes to boast, "Suspiria is fun for the whole family!" (in all seriousness though, don't subject children to this film unless you intend to punish them or you never want them to sleep again).

Film Assessment: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment